What is the Academic Senate?
Whether this is your first semester teaching at FCC or your fortieth, you might be interested in knowing just what the Senate is all about.
Academic Senate Blackboard site
The Academic Senate is the organization on campus that represents faculty in the formation of policy in “Academic and Professional Matters”. Title 5, Article 2, Section 53200 defines such matters as:
- Curriculum including establishing prerequisites and placing courses within disciplines
- Degree & certificate requirements
- Grading policies
- Development of educational programs
- Standards or policies regarding student preparation and success
- District and college governance structures, as related to faculty roles
- Faculty roles in accreditation processes
- Policies for faculty professional development activities
- Process for program review
- Processes for institutional planning and budget development
- Other matters as agreed upon between the governing board and academic senate
The Senate facilitates communication among the faculty, the college and district administration, the students, and the Board of Trustees. The Senate strives to promote the development and maintenance of teaching excellence within the framework of academic freedom, professional responsibility, and ethics. (Title 5 §53200)
Representatives from faculty departments are elected to serve as senators for one-year terms. The Senate averages seventy senators, including the Executive Board and the Chair of the Curriculum Committee. Senators are required to attend the meetings, which are held the second and fourth Wednesday of each month from 3:00-4:30 p.m. when school is in session. Elections are held in April and May for the coming academic year.
The office is open Monday and Tuesday from 8:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m, Wednesday 12:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m., Thursday and Friday from 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. Academic Senate and Executive Board meetings are on campus on Wednesdays from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m., during which time the office is closed.
1101 E. University Ave., OAB 184
Fresno, CA 93741
Phone: 1-559-442-4600, ext. 2382
To reach the members of the Executive Committee, please go to the “Executive Board” link and click on the Executive Board member's name to send an email.
To reach one of the committee chairs, please go to the “Committees” link and click on the Committee Chair’s name to send an email.