Welcome! As a new Veteran student to Fresno City College (FCC), your college success is important to us so we highly encourage you to follow the Matriculation steps in order as listed below.
For a PDF print version of this checklist, click below:
Steps to Success for Veteran Students
Step 1: First Things First
Complete the Online Admissions Application
. The application is normally processed within 2 business days and you will be notified of your State Center Community College District (SCCCD) Identification number (Student ID Number). You will receive an email acknowledging your admission acceptance. This email will be sent to the email address you indicated on your application.
Set Up Your College Accounts. After you receive confirmation that your application has been processed and accepted, you can set up your college accounts:
- Be sure to memorize your SCCCD ID number or keep it with you—you’ll need it when you get to campus.
- WebAdvisor account - Go to WebAdvisor to access important college information. First time WebAdvisor users should follow these instructions:
- Enter your User ID - lastname_SCCCD ID# (e.g. smith_0123456)
- Enter your password – use your 6-digit date of birth MMDDYY (e.g. 021083)
- Once you have accessed WebAdvisor, change your password.
- Add a password hint in case you forget your password later.
- If you need help logging on to WebAdvisor, call (559) 442-8240.
- SCCCD Student Email - Email is the official form of communication for all SCCCD students. A free student email account will be assigned to you within two (2) working days of your application being processed.
- To access your SCCCD email messages, you must first activate it by going to: http://www.fresnocitycollege.edu/studentemail. After you activate your account, you can login and check your messages.
Step 2: Veteran Benefits Certification Process
Gather the following documents and take them to the Fresno City College Veterans Office. The Veterans Office is located downstairs in the Student Services Building, Room 108:
DD-2384 for Chapter 1606 veterans OR Letter of Eligibility for Chapter 35 dependents
Official transcripts from all prior colleges attended. These must be sealed in the envelope to be considered official
Copy of military transcripts and course descriptions of completed courses. These can be downloaded at:
Take all documents listed above to the FCC Veterans Office located downstairs in the Student Services Building, Room 108
While at the FCC Veterans Office, obtain a veterans benefits application packet and complete all required documentation. This documentation must be completed prior to your academic counseling appointment (Step 6 below).
Step 3: Financial Aid
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at: http://www.fafsa.ed.gov
. If you need assistance in completing the FAFSA, visit the Financial Aid Computer Lab in the FCC Library, room 123.
Check your SCCCD student email regularly for follow-up information and instructions. This will be the only form of communication between you and the Financial Aid Office.
Step 4: Assessment/Placement Test
As a new student, it is important that the college assist you in to determining your skill level in English and Math which will help you make appropriate course selections.
Placement Test Exemptions
Do I need to take the placement test(s)?
Yes, if you are planning to complete an Associate Degree and/or transfer to a university.
No, if you meet one of the following exemptions below:
Placement Test Procedures:
If you need to take the placement test(s), follow the steps below:
Take advantage of the Math test preparation sessions before you take the math placement test. View the schedule on the FCC Tutorial Center website
Arrive early; first come, first served. Bring a #2 pencil, photo ID and know your student SCCCD ID#. You will not be admitted to the testing room without your SCCCD ID#.
Step 5: Complete the New Student Orientation
All new students are required to participate in a new student orientation. In order to release your course registration hold, you must complete orientation in one (1) of the following ways:
Contact the FCC College Relations Office at (559) 442-8225 for availability of on-campus orientations.
Step 6: Counseling/Veteran Educational Plan – Get on Track!
Once you have completed steps 1-5 above, you are ready to meet with the Veterans Counselor to develop your educational plan which will include the classes you must take to achieve your educational goal.
Call (559) 442-8290 to set up an appointment to see the Veterans Counselor.
Obtain a Veterans Referral Form from the FCC Veterans Office.
Take the Veterans Referral Form to the FCC Transfer Center (2nd floor of Student Services Building)
Step 7: Register for Classes
You can register by using the following methods:
Before you register, make sure all prerequisite requirements have been met. If the prerequisite was not taken and passed at one of the SCCCD campuses or sites, you can clear some prerequisites by bringing in any of the following documents to the Veterans Counselor located in the Veterans Office:
- Online using WebAdvisor
- On-campus in the Admissions office (downstairs, 1st floor of the Student Services Building)
- High school or college transcripts showing that you took the prerequisite course(s) and/or earned a passing score on the appropriate Advanced Placement exam within the past two years.
Step 8: Pay Fees
Ways to Pay:
- Online fee payment
- In person at the College Business Office, located in the Old Administration Building, Room 151A
By phone – (559) 499-6009
If you are receiving Financial Aid, check WebAdvisor
to determine if you have been awarded a Fee Waiver - the Fee Waiver only covers per unit tuition costs.
Student Fees and Fee Deadlines: Visit the Business Office webpage for a list of student fees and important payment deadlines.
Step 9: Get Student Photo ID
Step 10: Textbooks
- You can buy your books from the Bookstore which is located across from the Cafeteria.
- Be prepared before the semester begins and PREVIEW what books are required in your classes at the FCC Online Bookstore.
IMPORTANT: Attend Classes and Remember These Dates
Attend your classes on the first day they meet. You may be dropped from a class if you fail to attend the first class meeting. Be aware of the important dates below. For additional dates and deadlines, visit the Fresno City College homepage and click on Event Calendar.
Again, welcome to Fresno City College and congratulations for taking your first steps toward a successful college experience.