A Learning Community is a group of linked courses offered to promote a community of learners among students and instructors. Interdisciplinary topics, themes and assignments are coordinated among courses, by instructors of different disciplines. To enroll in a Learning Community, students need to register for all the courses in a specific group. In a Learning Community, intellectual exchanges take place when active interactions occur among and between students and faculty.A Learning Community
- Builds coherence among courses of different disciplines through common goals and topics.
- Provides shared innovative assignments and activities.
- Presents active and interactive learning opportunities.
- Builds a sense of community among students and instructors.
- Offers academic assistance from master tutors selected by the Student Success Program and instructors.
- Offers academic and personal support from Student Services.
- Provides First Year Experience Seminars, which help you discover learning techniques for college success.
Beginning with Spring of 2002, Learning Communities are listed in the Schedule of Classes. Courses in a Learning Community are cross-referenced. You may learn more about Learning Communities from Fresno City College counselors, or from an educational advisor through the “Registration-to-Go” process in a high school.
Last updated: 8/10/2011 10:15:55 AM